Tips for Preserving Furniture
- Avoid extreme fluctuations in heat and humidity
- When possible, protect from light, such as direct sunlight from a window
- Protect from liquids and heat (on tables, use coasters and insulated trivets)
- Use care when moving furniture. Maintain a firm grip and do not wear gloves
- Hold and carry the piece at its strongest part—hold a chair by the seat rail (not its back or by the hand rail) and hold a table by its apron (not its top or legs)
- Use a soft damp cloth to remove dust instead of furniture polish and feather dusters
Source: Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute, Furniture Care and Handling.